Cast of characters:
200gm overripe banana pulp (i used 4)
250gm all purpose flour
1 tbsp lemon juice (15 ml)
1 cup castor sugar (250 gm)
200gm butter (I used salted butter)
4 large eggs
3 tsp baking powder
For the twist you need :
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
50gm to 70gm chocolate chopped into very very fine pieces
Hershey’s Cocoa powder 100 gm
Coffee liqueur 30 ml
Chopped cherries 14-15 pieces
Raisins Handful ( 20-25)
Semi sweet chocolate chip ( some)
Orange zest 2 tsp
Now get started on that cake .. please… !!
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Start by first lining your loaf tin with butter paper.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and then blend it to a smooth paste using an electric blender. You should have 3/4th cup to 1 cup of pulp.
- Now melt the butter.
- Whisk the butter well with the castor sugar…Cream them together for about 3-4 minutes in an electric blender…
- Add 100gm (1/2 cup) flour. Whisk well till the flour is incorporated well
- Add the eggs one by one and whisk well to create a smooth emulsion.
- Add the vanilla essence and the lemon juice..whisk well.
- Add the orange zest and mix.
- Then add the banana pulp and whisk away again!
- Add the sifted cocoa powder and whisk very thoroughly scrapping the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together and re sift it again in the wet mixture and then whisk only till everything is well mixed.
- Add the coffee liqueur (simple boil 1tbsp instant coffee powder in some water and cool it beforehand) , whisk everything till smooth and has a wonderful smooth texture…No need to over mix..
- Now pour half of the batter into the baking tin and sprinkle some chocolate chunks, cherries, raisins.
- Pour the rest of the mixture and sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips , cherries, raisins and choco chips or whatever rocks your boat.
- Bake at 180 C for 55 mins . Once done test with a toothpick. Insert the toothpick in the center of the loaf and if it comes out clean you are done.
- Take out the tin loaf and wait for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes run a palate knife around the edges and transfer the loaf onto a wire rack.
- Wait patiently till the loaf cools off completely before slicing else your slices will break easily.
- Enjoy these super soft , super moist slices with a cup of tea or coffee.
Simple and delicious banana choco cake.