This time around tho, I made something my other mum doles out.. My MIL…
My mom is my mamma, and my MIL is my Mummy…I love both women..One is gentle, kind beyond words and strong(my mum)…the other is fiesty, fun and strong..my mil
P had been having a hankering for his mom’s pulao for a couple of days, so I decided to surprise him with this fantastic pulao… after all there is quite nothing like fave dishes from your childhood ..
Make this Peas, Caramelized Onion and Dry Fruit Pulao for a perfect meal… Served with Dal fry and my “infamous” Paneer Butter Masala ( found on my blog) , Smoked Brinjal, Mushroom tikkas( also found on my blog) Dahi Boondi, Salad and the afore-mentioned rasmalai…
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (washed and dried)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup assorted dry fruits (use more or less acc to taste, I use cashews,raisins, almonds and pistachios…the usuals
- 1/4 cup Onions…Sliced thin
- Ghee 2-3 tbsp
- Garam Masala or Whole SPices :
- 1-2 Bayleaf
- Cinnamon stick 1 large
- 3-4 cloves
- 4-5 cardamom
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 2 Star Anise
- Salt as per taste
2. In a large Pressure cooker, heat 1/2 tsp ghee. Once hot, add the dry fruits (one type at a time as each has a different cooking temp) .. once fried, take it out and keep aside.
3. add 1/2 tsp of ghee again, this time add the green peas, salt and saute for 3-4 mins till cooked.remove and keep aside.
4. add 1 tsp ghee and saute the sliced onions on a low flame , add a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar ..cook till it caramelizes into sweet and tender onions..takes 10 mins..
5. add the remaining ghee, the whole spices, saute till fragrant,
6. add the dried basmati (only, pls) to the spices and saute till slightly golden and fragrant…It gives off a certain aroma..Hard to miss. Make sure you keep stirring or it will burn.. do not let it get too red or brown..
7. Once fried through, add double the rice amount of water (very very very IMP. OBV. Measure perfectly once u have the dried rice before adding) ..rule of thumb.. I can usually alter a bit going by the looks but double the rice generally works for fluffy pulao..
8. The water should cover the rice with a little more above it.
9. add salt, let it come to a quick boil, then fix the lid.
10. Cook for 2 quick whistles. Switch off and leave it as it is, with the lid on, and pressure on for 30 mins.
11. When ready to serve, add the peas, onion and dry fruits..
12. Fluff the rice and serve hot!!