Mushroom bruschetta is a simple and elegant party starter, that is easy to put together and will have all your guests “oohing” and “aahing”. Robust wine, earthy mushrooms, fresh herbs and fire roasted red bell peppers spread over a crostini with some basic cream cheese. One word – Perfection!!!!
Recently P and me got invited over to a party at a colleague’s. Needless to say we were quite happy at the idea of a break in the middle of the week.Even before we started, I was busy thinking (and salivating) at the thought of the good food I would soon be eating, without any effort on my part! Yay!! Imagine my disappointment when instead of the amazing tapas i had been dreaming of, I was served some lack luster pakodas, namak paara (seriously???) , some random picked-up-from-some- place paneer chillie and chow mein!!!! Honestly???? None of them are food that I like..but to serve that at a party…!! Disappointed.
Bonus: I got to enjoy my favorite caramel coffee ice cream straight out of the tub on returning home. 🙂
I am not being mean..but here’s the thing. Wine and appetizers is usually how the best parties start, and if they’re not, I don’t know what parties you’re going to..but run!
My parties are well planned out and the food would definitely be the highlight. In fact my soirees are such fun and delicious affairs that people compliment me on it even after two weeks and then slyly drop hints at a Sunday brunch! My parties may not be fancy..and I don’t spend a bomb ,but they are always fun, there is loads of laughter, scintillating conversation, delicious food , good wine/ interesting cocktails and more importantly, no one goes away feeling disappointed or blah…!! I know. Control issues..mental issues. Whatever. Fact is, people love my parties..and I love throwing them 🙂 Its a win-win!!
This particular Gouda and cherry tomato Bruschetta or these amazing Tomato and pepper tartlet were simple and perfect, and it really made people moan!!! Go on take a look and add a few more 15 min dishes with wow factor to your list!
Like this mushroom bruschetta. It is a simple and elegant party starter, that is so easy to put together and will be having all your guests cheering “ooh” and “aahs”. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…there is nothing better than simple and bold flavors! Robust wine, earthy mushrooms, fresh herbs and fire roasted red bell peppers!
I have had this awesome mushroom bruschetta three times already, and that is just in this week! The first was for breakfast, ..next was while watching one of my fave movies Chef along with my absolutely delish Spaghetti aglio e olio and the next was when we had some surprise guests at home.
What can I say? I love fun,fast and fabulous recipes that practically take me 15 mins to whip up and that doubles up as a delicious breakfast and a gorgeous snack; especially when you have company 🙂
These are packed full of nutrient and are filling enough to keep you sated for the first couple of hours. Mushrooms develop a wonderful umami flavor and the fire roasted red bell pepper is a great sweet addition. So simple, so easy and so so good!!!
What are you waiting for? 😉 Pick it up.. and Bon appetit!!
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, cleaned and cut into thin slices (I used button)
- Fire roasted Red bell pepper - ½
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ cup red wine (I used Cabarnet)
- 2 Tb Garlic and Herb butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic salt, for finishing (optional)
- French or ciabatta bread, sliced and cut in half, grilled
- Fresh parsley, leaves removed and chopped for garnish
- Cream cheese - as desired , needed to spread on the bread.
- Begin by dipping a wad of tissues in oil and rubbing it all over the red bell pepper. Roast it on an open flame for 5 mins, turning over to ensure it gets charred evenly. Set aside for 5 mins to sweat. then peel off the charred skin. Chop up the pepper into bits or thin long slices ,as desired. Set aside.
- While the pepper is roasting , start off with cleaning and thoroughly drying the mushrooms. Slice them thin.
- In a skillet heat up the butter,then add the garlic and saute for 30 secs till fragrant. Don't let it burn.
- Add mushrooms, wine, thyme and olive oil and leave it on high for 5 mins or till the alcohol smell has reduced. After that, let it simmer on a medium -low flame for 10 mins, tossing occasionally until the mushrooms begin to break down and soften.
- Upto this point you can do everything ahead of time.
- When ready to serve, spread cream cheese over the grilled bread, add heaping spoon of mushroom , add a few slices of red bell pepper, top with fresh parsley and garlic salt.
- This recipe is can be easily multiplied for more servings.