Thai chicken fried rice is a simple and delicious, mid week dinner that can be ready in just 30 minutes. Rich in the true flavors on Thailand, this healthy bowl of rice includes fragrant basil chicken, bell peppers and a fried egg on top!
A month back, we returned from our trip to Thailand where we had spent an idyllic ten days island hopping and succumbing to the beauty that is Thailand. The gorgeousness of the country, the joie de vivre of the Thai people, the amazingly beautiful wats( temples) and the gorgeous gorgeous food is still fresh in my mind. I have always LOVED Thai food. Thai chicken curry has been a hot favorite in my home as is Tom Yum soup..Spicy sesame noodles and cashew chicken are others that we absolutely gorge on, anytime we can.
As much as we loved indulging ourselves in the authentic Thai street food for those ten days, this is the dish that I decided to do first while getting started on the Thai food series.
1. It is really really easy.
2. It is simple,quick and delicious.
3. It is healthy and flavorful.
4. It is loved by the big people “adults” .
5. It is absolutely the best food for kids (my 3 yr old basically lived on it for those ten days).
Although its just a fried rice, its far from bland!! The addition of the basil chicken makes it extremely flavorful and fragrant, the Thai red curry paste and bird eye chillies add the much needed heat to this rice and the bell peppers and fried egg are like the perfect icing on top! It takes a mere 20 minutes to make this from scratch and is perfect for quick mid week meals when you simply lack the enthusiasm or the time for time taking complicated meals. Served with red chillie sauce and a fried egg, this is perfection!
Go ahead, make this simple dish and indulge yourself in the taste of amazing Thailand.
- Cooked and cooled jasmine rice 1 cup
- Egg 1 per person
- Red bell pepper 1, chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Thai red curry paste 1 tbsp
- Sweet soya sauce 1 tsp
- Shallots or yellow onion 1, chopped fine
- Bird eye chilie, 1, deseeded and chopped fine.
- Thai basil chicken - 1 cup ( recipe mentioned below)
- Green/spring onions - 3 or 4 stalks, chopped, green and white parts.
- a small bunch of basil leaves.
- Ingredients for Thai Basil Chicken :
- Chicken, ground into bits, 500 gms
- Garlic cloves , 8. finely chopped
- Bird eye chilie 4, chopped and pounded with a mortar and pestle.
- Shallots, 2 finely chopped
- Palm sugar 1 tsp
- Fish sauce 1 tbsp
- Black/white pepper powder 1 tsp
- a big bunch of basil leaves, torn
- Start by making the Thai basil chicken first.
- Heat a wok, add 2 tsp oil. Once heated up, add the garlic and shallot. Stir fry till fragrant but not browned.
- Then add the ground chicken and stir fry it all, breaking up the chicken into small lumps.
- Once the chicken starts hanging color in about 7 mins, add the rest of the ingredients except half of the basil leaves.
- Stir to combine well and cook till the chicken is fragrant and done. Finish with the rest of the basil leaves and a few dashes of white/black pepper. Keep aside.
- For the Fried Rice:
- Start by adding a tbsp of oil into the wok. Once hot, add the chopped garlic , shallots and bell pepper. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Add the red curry paste and soya sauce, stir it for a bit till fried and raw smell goes.
- Then add the rice, chicken and stir it around for 5 minutes till hot and mixed well.
- Before serving, top with a fried egg and chopped spring onions,torn basil leaves.
- Serve hot with some sriracha or Thai sweet chillie sauce.