Banana strawberry bread is for anyone who likes easy and quick bakes like me. A make it any time, eat it anytime you wish kind of dessert, this gorgeous bread is baked with no butter, using just yogurt! As a special bonus I swirl some Nutella in the bread and layer with fresh strawberries to make things much better!
Life is too short. Eat dessert first.
One of the things that happen as you grow old- er is you start thinking about health. Remember how I turned 30 this November?? Well, 3 months later my foodie conscience had an awakening and I took a hard,cold look at my style of eating. Result? Disappointing and horrifying! I think I am pretty much the last 30 yr old to still devour ( yes, there is no other word for it) fried chicken, burger and french fries every week, without fail, come rain or sun, day or night!!! And Butter Chicken?? Well.. thats the calling of my life..as are these Paneer/ Alu Parathas..and poori alu jhol is a must! Yowzaa!!! That’s bad right?? I know I have been a naughty girl. Not just that, I end up frying things at home too, in spite of owning a fancy schmancy air fryer. Hmm.. things had to change around the Lapetitchef casa, soon.
If you have read my About page, you will know I don’t really follow fad diets. In fact I find diets quite irritating. Why starve yourself of everything you love, when your life is so uncertain!!?? I mean You only live once, right? But my mantra has always been simple..eat what you like in moderation, add a lot of fruits in your diet and exercise! In whichever form you like. I tend to squeeze in yoga daily before the madness of the day begins and my little ( and the tall guy) troopers are up and breathing down my neck for breakfast. And run when I can. Which is mostly at night..a post dinner kind of ritual. Recently I have been thinking of starting cycling too..and may be I will!
I have been doing more healthy stuff now..my Thai style paneer is grilled and so flavorful, you wont even miss the Shahi Paneer! And my fried Garlicky Aubergine fritters have been subbed with Indian corn on the cob. Breakfast these days is again the Frozen yogurt parfaits and dinners have become healthy with this AMAZING Chicken Tikka wraps that are so so flavorful you wont miss any curry!! But here’s the thing, no matter how careful one is, if you are a foodie there is only so much you can control. And one does give in to desserts every once in a while,read every week.
You remember the strawberry brownie bites I made? As perfect as those were, I would now keep them for special occasions (Valentine’s Day is PERFECTTTTTT for them) and go butter-less for everyday bakes. Ergo, yogurt!! Its such an easy and quick recipe..I can make it when i am half asleep too. Most bakes are like that, once you understand the ratios, there’s nothing much to it and variety is upto you. There are so many things you can do a basic recipe of banana bread like this. I added strawberry and Nutella, but I am thinking a mocha one next, blueberry would be heavenly and come summer, I am sure I will make these bursting with sweet cherries!
The banana strawberry bread is a superb way to start off your end, and if you are anything like me, to end it too!! The bread is extremely moist and fluffy, bursting with tart strawberries and oozing Nutella in just the right amount. It was fabulous! I really know I should stop saying how good it was, but I cant!! Especially since I have one in my hand right now as we speak (er..type?). Make this banana strawberry bread this weekend my friend, make them and take that small step towards healthy baking! Promise you will LOVE it!
This banana strawberry bread recipe has been adapted from the ever awesome Averie Cooks. She has a huge collection of banana breads and other amazing stuff. In a utopian world(where I would remain skinny forever),I would bake my way through her blog but for now, I will rest with this delicious bread! Thanks so much.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yogurt ( make sure you drain all liquid)
- 3 bananas mashed well
- 12-15 fresh strawberries, quartered.
- Nutella 4 tbsp
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Start by keeping everything measured and ready before you get started.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg, yogurt, oil, vanilla, both the sugar and mix well tu=ill thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, sieve the flour, add the baking powder and salt and mix.
- Start adding the dry mix into the wet mix(egg yogurt mix) little by little till combined. Don't overmix. Add the bananas and strawberries and fold gently to combine.
- Fold gently to combine.
- Spray a baking pan (9 *5 inch loaf) with oil and dust with flour. I use a baking paper too.
- Next, pour half the batter into the pan. Add 2 tbsp of Nutella.
- Now take a skewer and swirl the nutella around the dough. Now add the remaining batter , and heap the remaining 2 tbsp of nutella. Swirl it again so that it covers the whole pan. Top with a few quartered strawberries on top of the batter.
- Put the pan into a pre heated oven. Bake at 180 C for 55-60 mins till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Take it out when done, and let it cool in the pan for 15 mins. Remove to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving.
- Dust with icing sugar (optional) and serve with your morning cuppa!
- Bon appetit.
Turn batter out into the prepared pan , smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
Bake for about 55 to 65 minutes (I baked 60 minutes) or until the top is golden, the center is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
Watch your bread in the last 10 mins and tent it with foil.