Cottage cheese pancakes are such a delicious and fluffy alternative to your usual pancakes. Otherwise known an Syrniki, this delight of a breakfast staple is stuffed full of chocolate and drizzled over with fresh strawberry coulis. Waking up to THIS is bound to start your day on a perfect note. BONUS: So easy and quick..ready on the table in 20 mins!!
“..he will never know just how much I love him.
A love like that is always lost in translation”…
This beautiful and fluffy Syrniki (cottage cheese pancakes), stuffed with chocolate and drizzled with strawberry sauce is a simple and easy way to show him that, coz after all food is nothing but “Love made edible”.. right?
So our big old anniversary is knocking on the doors. One day to go. And will you believe it if I say I have nothing special planned. Yet. I have no idea how or when I will make time to make something. You will probably see me post some midnight baking pictures on Instagram soon enough 😛
Five years of marriage, ten years of togetherness..its been one beautiful journey. Journey studded with ups and downs. Starting from overcoming family opposition to seeing each other through the loss of job, from moving to a small town to dealing with being parents even before we celebrated our first anniversary, we both have grown so much. Sometimes I feel that the strong, quiet, funny man I fell in love with ten years back is lost in the never ending struggle of living. But he always comes back to me, in the quiet of the night, once he sheds the moniker of dad or manager, when the world is quiet and hushed..when the worries are put aside till the morning, that’s when I get my P back..and I fall in love with the awesome boy I fell in love with all over again, especially when I see the amazing man he has become today. Its so difficult to sum up a relationship.. i doubt that we can. But if there ever were words to show me what he he felt about me, these would be it.
“…she always thought she was a shade of blush.. Fun, unimposing and sweet.
To him, she was always a vibrant scarlet – filled with heat, passion and alive”.
Similarly, my love for pancakes was renewed when I went to Thailand. Before that I had tasted pancakes once in Bangalore. It was smothered in syrup and had some fruits on it. I took a bite of it, then another. And put my spoon down. No good!! I tried to understand what all the gaga was about. Pancakes tasted just ok. Too floury and dense. Honestly, I would prefer some of my Mango French Toast over pancakes, any day. Often did my sister try to persuade me to give them another try, but me being me I resisted. Not that I was even remotely tempted!!
But that changed when I came across this beautiful looking recipe on Pinterest. It looked gorgeous..and sounded intriguing enough to attempt at home. I mean..
Pancakes made of cottage cheese – Interesting!!
STUFFED with chocolate?? – Very interesting.
AND topped with fruity syrup!!??? – Hell yes!!!!!
Sheer Bliss is certainly this!! It screamed perfect breakfast to me.. especially on the weekend, or even on days when you need something to placate a certain ruffled P, and bring balance back to the relationship. Which translates into him doing as I say( 80% of the time) 😛 😛
I followed the recipe of Jovita from Yummy Addiction to make these beautiful pancakes, and let me tell you this.. I have been converted into a pancake lover, for eternity. But not just ANY pancake..these Syrniki ( Russian farmer’s cheese pancakes). I followed the recipe exactly but found that it made more than we could finish. Keep in mind that these pancakes are quite filling and I was full with just one of these babies.
Also, I added the strawberry coulis on top coz I love anything strawberry but I’m thinking cherry would be sublime too! And mango when they finally arrive in India!! Can’t wait for Mango season.. Let me make my point quickly before I digress and start talking about my undying love for mangoes.
Make these delicious, fluffy pancakes soon. The exterior will be slightly crisp and the inside…oh so so soft and fluffy. And the you cut into it and will be rewarded with the prettiest sight of all..molten chocolate!! Hello lover!!
Decadence has a new name and it certainly is this gorgeousness..
[bctt tweet=”Decadence has a new name and it certainly is this gorgeousness! Syrniki or cottage cheese pancakes stuffed with chocolate and drizzled with strawberry coulis!”]
- 500gm cottage cheese, well-drained ( i made it at home, you can buy it too)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (140 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- your favorite chocolate , chopped
- ½ cup flour, for dusting
- butter or oil, for pan frying ( i used butter of course)
- Start by making the cottage cheese sometime before you need to make the pancakes so that they whey is drained well. Ideally, I make the cottage cheese at night, and store it in the fridge for the night so that I can quickly make these for breakfast in the morning.
- For the cottage cheese:
- Heat 1 L of full fat milk in a sauce pan. Bring it a boil. Then add the juice of one lemon ( use two lemon if small in size) and bring the heat to a sim. Give it a stir and wait for the milk to break down.After ten minutes you can see the cottage cheese formed.
- Immediately drain the cheese of any whey and wash in cool drinking water. This ensures the lemony smell or any residual lemon taste is gone from the cottage cheese. Press with the back of a spoon or even your fingers to press all the liquid (whey) out of the cheese. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. If using immediately, keep aside and proceed with the under mentioned steps.
- To make the pancakes:
- Mix the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Blend together the cottage cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in small food processor just until cheese is almost smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir with a spatula just until combined. The mixture will be very sticky.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter or oil in a nonstick skillet on low-medium heat. Make sure that the oil is hot enough before you start frying the pancakes, but not smoking.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop a ball of dough. Then place the chocolate bar inside the scooped ball of dough, and put it directly on the flour. Sprinkle flour over the top of the ball. Continue the process with the rest of the dough, until it’s all gone. You should get about 7-8 balls.
- Lightly pat on the balls to remove the excess flour. Then flatten the ball with your palm to make it into a patty and place it in the skillet.
- Fry both sides on low-medium heat until golden brown then place on paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Dust the pancakes with powdered sugar and serve with strawberry coulis and garnish with some freshly cut strawberries.