Crepes stuffed with Nutella, caramelized bananas and mango is just about the most perfect breakfast for anyone, especially in this horrid heat. Easy to make, quick and almost make ahead, these crepes are stuffed with everyone’s favorite Nutella, topped with ice cream and studded with season fresh mangoes and pomegranates. I wish I could wake up to this everyday!
Mangoes are here! I know I know..they have been here for over a month now, but the mangoes that we are seeing in the market now are just perfect. These juicy and delicious fruits are not called the King of fruits for nothing. Extremely versatile and almost everyone’s favorite, these mangoes are flooding the market and everyone’s homes in India. I have had a long lasting love affair with mangoes. For as long as I can remember summer meant mangoes. When I was a child,my favorite way to eat these was just think slices of the fruit on a plate…I would devour two mangoes in under ten minutes!! Mom made all kinds of shakes and even kulfi with mangoes. Sorbets and mango lassi were the order of the day..I loved how much my mom loved making new things with mangoes and till date mangoes take me back to my childhood home and those beautiful summer afternoons.
Crepes wasn’t something I had made before until recently. If you recall I had shared a Zaátar spiced chicken crepes a couple of months back, thanks to a dear friend Kankana of the amazing PlayfulCooking. Once I made them (and quite successfully I might add), there was no looking back. Now crepes grace our breakfast table at least once a week. Its mostly with eggs and paneer (cottage cheese), sometimes chicken for dinner but that particular morning I was in a most uncharacteristically sweet mood.
Reason: Those gorgeous mangoes!!! As always our family sends across crates of ripe mango from the family orchard, this year was no different. As I was drooling just thinking the mango-licious weeks ahead, I knew that I wanted to have them then and now. Result: Thin, lacey crepes that I stuffed with my favorite Nutella,rolled them up and plonked some beautiful vanilla bean ice cream on top..studded the beauty with fresh ripe mango slices and pomegranate, caramelized bananas and finally a drizzle of chocolate syrup! God.. I was in heaven!
It was a great way to start the day, paired with my black coffee, these crepes were delicious, fresh and not too heavy. Lunch that day – skipped!
If you are like me and tend to not have enough time in the mornings, make the batter the night before. Just bring it out 30 mins before cooking time so that it is at room temperature. Works perfectly and that’s what I did here. If you are looking for some more summer breakfast options , please take a look at these..These are some of my favorite ways to ring in a bright new day, especially given the crazy heat wave we are dealing with. This Strawberry yogurt smoothie bowl is a total life saver BTW, and this Banana strawberry bread is just what you need when you have a large family. make it the evening before and cut everyone a slice for breakfast along with some smoothie. Orange yogurt muffins are especially great for working folks like us coz you can grab one (or two, I wont judge!) and have it on your commute. Best part – none of them are laden with butter or lard or margarine. Made of yogurt, my bakes are fluffy, light and moist!! Give these a go..
Remember to enjoy the bounty of this season and stay cool with calming thoughts!
[bctt tweet=”This is how I want to wake up every morning! A delicious breakfast crepe stuffed with Nutella, caramelized bananas and fresh mangoes! Sumptuous treat to start your day. “]
- For crepes:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup full fat milk, not hot milk. room temp works fine.
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- Nutella - as much as needed to spread on the crepes (acc to personal taste)
- Mango slices - 8 think ones per crepe
- Caramelized banana - 8 pieces per crepe
- Pomegranates - 1 tbsp per crepe
- Chopped almond and pistachio - as needed
- Vanilla bean ice cream - 1 scoop per crepe
- Chocolate syrup to drizzle
- For the crepes:
- Start by whisking all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl till frothy. Now add this to the dry ingredients.
- Next, pour milk, water and melted butter. Whisk until there are no lumps and it forms a smooth batter. Allow it to rest for a while, 10-15 mins.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan and ladle ⅓ cup of the batter in the center.
- There is no need to butter or oil the pan.
- Swirl the pan all around to spread the batter evenly.do this quickly. Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then, flip it to the other side very carefully and let it cook for a minute.
- You can use a spatula to flit it ..or use your fingers.
- Once done, transfer it to a plate and continue cooking rest of the crepes.
- To serve:
- Spread as much Nutella as you would like on each crepe.
- Lay some mango slices , pomegranate arils and caramelized banana in the centre.
- Fold from both sides toward the centre.
- Just before serving, plop a scoop of icecream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup. Lay on some more fruits and sprinkle the chopped nuts.
- Bon appetit!