Watermelon margarita granita made of just 5 ingredients is just what you need this Cinco de Mayo. So much better than just drinking a margarita. Its cooling, super delicious and so much fun to serve at parties!
Watermelon Margarita Granita is a super fun take on usual margaritas that work really well, especially in summer. Watermelon flavoured margarita now in delicious ice form!! Cinco de mayo is here..and so is Mothers day! While I have been going mad with trying to post delicious reccipes for you, i didnt take one thing into account – my health. And here I am, trying to write a post while snuggling with some warm ginger tea. Pros of recipe development, enjoying food a little too much. Cons : having a little too much of granita (frozen margarita) and needless to say falling sick.
But I don’t really care coz weekend is here and soon I shall take a much needed break. For the time bring, lets go on and enjoy these delicious magaritas before the sun starts melting everything!
Cinco de mayo is a Mexican celebration that commemorates the Mexican ousting the French from their country. If you are interested in their history, you can read all about it on my Tequila fired chicken taco post (which by the way) is a must make tonight!! However, today cinco de mayo is just an excuse for many of us to party and have some fun. Of course it makes it much more fun that today is Friday too!
Margarita and Mexico go hand in hand, as does any cinco de mayo celebration. But instead of just drinking margaritas this year, I decided I would eat them! So, yes i turned them into my favorite treat of the season – frozen margaritas / granitas.
You have probably had some form of granita all your life without knowing it. You might have called it a snow cone or gola/chuski if you are from my part of the world. while snow cone typically means shaved flavored ice, a granita is more of a flavored ice version with bigger chunks.
I made a simple original Margarita granita and a watermelon margarita granita. Needless to say, both were much in demand!! I adored the watermelon margarita granita so much that I was having it every 3-4 hrs.. result – end up with a sore throat and fever. Don’t be a glutton like me though!! Enjoy these frozen drinks in moderation.
Make it four your friends this weekend and let everyone relive their childhood moments with these original margatia and watermelon margarita granitas!
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!!
Disclaimer: The recipe has been adapted from Food52
- Watermelon Puree - 4 cups ( ½ watermelon)
- Sugar syrup - 140 ml
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mint leaves, torn , half a bunch
- Tequila (gold is what I used) - 150 ml
- Triple sec - 70 ml
- Lime wedges / mint for garnish.
- Start by pureeing the watermelon. Strain and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the ingredients into the watermelon puree and mix well.
- Taste and adjust as per requirement. I usually end up adding some more lemon juice or slightly more sugar syrup.
- Pour into a freezer safe container. Cover with a plastic wrap and freeze.
- After two hours, scrape the mix using a fork and put it back in the freezer.
- Do this about 3 times every 2-3 hours till the entire mix is scrapes and resembles a granita.
- Scoop into glasses, drizzle a little tequila on top, garnish with watermelon sphere, lemon wedge and mint leaf.
- Eat immediately.
- NOT MEANT FOR KIDS OR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 21.