5 ways to bring life into dark corner – under the staircase. This is often the most neglected area in the house, a dark, dingy place where we often don’t do anything. With these 5 small and easy ways you can do a complete overhaul of the area like I did and turn it into something of a focus point.
We all know what a precious commodity time is these days. Everyone is busy and almost everyone I know wishes they had more time. While the secret to extra hours in the day is something I am not privy to, I do have some tips on how to transform your dingy and dark staircase corner. These tips are so easy and quick that you can put together a lovely and stylish area in no time at all.
Lets go take a look at these room (under the staircase area) refreshers now. Even though it may not grant your wish for extra hours in the day, at the very least it will make your wish for a happy place a reality and that too without too much time.
- Painting the room/area – When i started my home renovation project the first change I knew I had to make was change the color of the room. It was a yellowish cream earlier, the kind of paint that does nothing for a space and leaves you wondering what horrendous taste the previous owners had!! So I set about getting the room (especially the area under the staircase painted a pristine white, Raindrops by Asian Paints. This shade reflects light beautifully, thankfully has no yellow tones! So what you get is a soft marshmallow-y creamy white. Once the space was painted it already looked 10 times better!
- Adding a console/ chest of drawers/ buffet or sideboard to the space, just under the stairway. This ensures that the hollow empty gaping hole is covered by something pretty. You can go as fancy or as minimalist as you want with the furniture here. I went for a simple wooden shoe cabinet and a small wooden open buffet for some of the crockery and many of my props. The next step is to do up this space. Don’t forget to add a rug here too!
- Add one or two main accent piece to this space to really add drama to the whole area and transform it from something cringe worthy or plain to something fabulous. Case in point, the tall palm tree here. Plants add much needed life to any space and this dingy corner definitely needs a boost of greenery to liven it up. I especially adore the woven basket that houses my overgrown aloe vera here.
- Some sorta art or a large mirror to make the space more appealing and add a creative/artistic touch to the room/area. For me that choice was a large framed print with the words “drama” in it for some extra added drama. Get personal here. Choose something that speaks to you and add it for a finishing touch to the console. In fact, an oversized mirror would be just as great here!! BUt since I already have a large wooden mirror on the adjacent wall (at the stairway landing) I gave the mirror a pass here and opted instead for art. Do up the table with just a couple of knick knacks and try to tie it all with a color scheme if you can. I played around with colors of green and turquoise here.
- Lastly, and most important, add a stunning, oversized light fixture to this space. Your choice of light would really depend on the rest of the space. I wanted to keep ours elegant and classic rather than opt for an industrial/boho vibe as that wouldn’t have suited the rest of the area. Thankfully The White Teak Company came to my rescue and I finally found the exact chandelier/pendant light I had been looking for. They have so many wonderful designs and have a beautiful catalogue thoughtfully designed to meet your every need. I think at one point I wanted about ten of their lights! Not kidding.
Aptly named the Drop dead gorgeous chandelier, this light brings to focus the diamond craze! This light brings the diamond craze into the twenty-first century! The dripping effect of the diamonds is usually undermined by bold colours like gold and black but here, with the almost transparent chrome shade allows the diamonds to shine in full force. This light is perfect for those who want the diamonds to shine and the light to take a backseat. The white stand and shade fade to allow the crystals to sparkle in the light! It matches the white of the space and gently lights up the whole area with its luminous glow in the evenings. With a shade diameter of 20 inch and height of 12 inch I knew it would be just the perfect size for the space too. Dramatic yet not overpowering!
If you had to choose two elements to change a space, I would definitely tell you to paint the area and add a beautiful light fixture to the space, preferably from The White Teak Company coz they are the best in the business! Everything else is negotiable barring these two.
I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my home and liked how I transformed the area. There’s many more home improvement posts coming up, so stay tuned!
Dont forget to turn your home into the home you always envisioned yourself in. All it takes is some guts and a bit of elbow grease.